While lounging inside one dreary afternoon, the Mr. and I stumbled upon Food Network and the very end of a recipe on Chia Limeade. I love, love limeade and knew that this would be a great way to try something new and healthy! I made a pitcher a few days later, and it is better than I expected!
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (around 6 gigantic limes or around 8 regular size)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 5 cups water total
- 1/2 cup sugar (you could do a little bit less for a more tart flavor)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- Ice cubes (bonus: freeze a little lime juice and mint leaves as ice cubes to prevent a watered down drink)
- In a medium bowl mix the chia seeds and 1 cup cold water. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Mix 4 cups cold water with the 1/2 cup sugar in pitcher, stirring until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Add 1 cup lime juice and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chia seeds (no need to drain or rinse–the acidity from the limes will dissolve the jelly-like texture!).
- Garnish with the fresh mint leaves and lime slices.
Let me know if you try this and if you love it or not!